Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

$19 Million Approved to Acquire Flood-prone North Carolina Properties, Minimize Disaster Damage (Article)

The State of North Carolina and FEMA are approving nearly $19 million to eliminate flood risks at certain repetitively damaged properties in North Carolina following Hurricane Florence.

“We are grateful for the support of our FEMA partners as we work together to make North Carolina more resilient in the wake of devastating storms,” said Gov. Roy Cooper. “Eliminating flood risks at repetitively damaged properties will help North Carolina continue to rebuild smarter and stronger.”

The funds will acquire 130 residential structures to convert them to open spaces and conserve natural floodplain functions at the following locations:

  • Bladen County, $954,000 for five structures
  • Brunswick County, $1.2 million for five structures
  • City of Jacksonville, $1.7 million for 16 structures
  • City of New Bern, $191,000 for three structures
  • Columbus County, $1.1 million for 12 structures
  • Cumberland County, $177,000 for two structures
  • Craven County, $688,000 for six structures
  • Jones County, $6.2 million for 31 structures
  • Moore County, $945,000 for 13 structures
  • New Hanover County, $2.2 million for 11 structures
  • Onslow County, $821,000 for six structures
  • Robeson County, $1.2 million for six structures
  • Sampson County, $1 million for eight structures
  • Town of Tabor City, $623,000 for six structures

FEMA reimburses 75 percent of eligible costs and the remaining 25 percent is covered by the state. FEMA’s share for these projects is more than $14.1 million and the state’s share is approximately $4.7 million.

The federal share is paid directly to the state to disburse to local governments.

The agency provides funding for property acquisitions through its Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. HMGP funding encourages states and local governments by funding projects to help communities eliminate or reduce disaster-related damage.

The state and FEMA continue reviewing additional projects to acquire flood-prone properties and remove them as flood-related threats.